Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Lessons in humility....

While searching for jobs (this is an incredibly stressful process) I have started some temporary work at a factory. So, if you have been using Nutrisystem to lose some weight and eat healthier, I am packing your food into boxes which will then be shipped out to you. The cardboard boxes most likely taste as good as the food so feel free to eat them as well. I take pride in carrying my Charlie Brown retro, yellow, metal lunch box to work with me everyday. It's cover is even graced with classic comic strips which I can read while dining on the lone picnic table just outside the warehouse.

At first, I can't say that I enjoyed this job and actually intended to quit after a week, maybe two. Instead, I asked that God would help me feel comfortable at this new job and stick with it until I find something more permanent. The next day, I felt humbled. I had been feeling frustrated because many available jobs I didn't feel were suitable for a college grad, almost as if I was better than those people and those places. I think this has been and is a lesson in humility for me. I feel like I've learned to appreciate the place I am in life and do my very best (whether I am over or under qualified) until I find my perfect match. I suppose I need to learn how roll with the punches a bit more and to make the best of every opportunity I have. I realized that even though this job is a factory job, I get to practice my Spanish (since about 50% of the employees speak Spanish as their first language) and the people have exquisite characters and personalities that I feel are often lacking in jobs that are more, how should I say, strict. I began to feel comfortable and relaxed. I really like all of the people I've met and am excited to continue to see God's direction in my life!

No comments: